Monday, April 11, 2005

Prom 2005

So, I made a rule a few years ago that I wasn't going to do any more stand up at Proms. The shows just don't tend to go that well. Yet, good friend and "rock my face off" bandleader, Troy Kooima, recommended me for a show for Unity Christian High School in Orange City, IA. They were having their pre-prom banquet at the New Life Reformed Church in Sioux Center, IA, and they wanted a comedian for about a half hour. Well, on Troy's urging, I agreed

I quickly decided that I needed a date for the prom, and didn't hesitate to call the one person I knew could liven up any event - my brother-in-law, Kyle. He was quite excited to be attending prom again after so many years, and ended up wearing a dapper jacket, dress shirt, and jeans. Well, I was blown away, and knew we'd be quite the head turning couple when we walked in.

Needless to say, we had a great time. The Unity Christian students were fantastic, and I can't wait to speak for them again some time! Kyle and I were treated very well. My contact, Mr. Rudy Folkerts, was great. The table of adults we sat with were lots of fun. And the meal was excellant. (Kyle had the chicken cordon bleu, and i had the pork chop.)

I regailed the crowd with my stories about going to prom with Elmo, dimembered body parts, and vomiting. We had a blast!

On the ride home, the fun continued as we listened to some Coast to Coast, ate fast food, and got harrassed by a child who wanted to know Kyle's height. According to the big guy, he's "about two step ladder's high". This apparently wasn't the answer that the kid was looking for. Hmm.

Til next time,

Jason

No comments: