Thursday, May 10, 2007

Another Old Time Gospel Show

Headed up to Toledo, IA for another Old Time Gospel Show with John Finical's bunch. Had a great time. Heard Interfaith and a great yodeler! Read some poems, including a couple new ones that went over okay. I got a 50 / 50 reaction. One went great, the other one went rough.

I also went to visit the Bluegrass Cafe in Tama, which is just a fantastic place. It's kind of like a bluegrass nightclub for senior citizens, and it was fun just to hang out there for just a few minutes as I talked to the owner - Lisa Blomme. Turns out she's interested in having The Morgan Valley Social Club come and play a show on May 26th, so I'm pretty pumped about that! It was a great crowd, and a great atmosphere, so I'm sure the show will be lots of fun.

I heard bits and pieces of two very interesting conversations while I was traveling to the show on Saturday night. While eating some buffalo wings in the Tama Hardee's while working on a poem I overheard a conversation from a couple senior citizen couples that went like this:

Guy 1: So Joe and I pull up to the bar and we were already three sheets to the wind.

Guy 2: Oh no!

Guy 2's wife: Oh no!

Guy 1: There was a crowd outside talking and I couldn't get my door open.

Guy 2: Oh, no! What'd you do?

Guy 2's wife: What'd you do?

Guy 1: I kicked the windshield out and crawled out over the hood.

Guy 2: Oh no!

Guy 2's wife: Oh no!

(Guy 1's wife sits and looks incredulous as she sips her drink.)

Guy 1: It was the best 50 bucks I've ever spent!

Guy 2: 50 bucks! That's pretty cheap!

Guy 1: Well this was years ago, Don!

(Guy 1's wife gets up to go refill her drink, but I don't think it was empty)

Pretty classic stuff. Then when I stopped to buy gas at the Casey's on the way out of town I walked in to hear the cashier talking to the pizza maker:

Teenage girl cashier (kind of under her breath as if I'm not supposed to hear it): Oh, hold on. Somebody's coming in! I better tell you the rest later. (Loudly adding) But that is THE DRUNKEST I have ever been! (laughter from both)

So yeah, two drinking stories in one night. Those people in Tama really know how to live it up I guess.

Till next time,
Jason

No comments: