Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Chili Fries

Made another trip up to Sioux Falls on Sunday Night to speak at Troy Kooima's church for an "Online" service. Many students from a couple different youth groups, and lots of adults participated and we had a great time.

Dustin came again to help me out by letting me carry him down the aisle while ruining my back and begging for money. I lamented over the fact that I have yet to have Dr. Phil show up at my door and offer me an extreme makeover of any kind, and I challenged everyone to show the spiritual makeover they recieve through Christ in their daily lives. Yep, just your typical speaking gig.

Troy took Dustin, Danny Fergen, and I out to the Cherry Creek Grill for some appetizers and we had a great time talking about the night and how the service seemed to go. Both Troy and Danny had been at church since very early that morning, so by the time the youth service came around, they were both spent. Yet they both said they were excited at how well it went, and surprised by how well the youth and adults participated. These were great things to hear on my end - leading me to believe I'd hopefully done something right.

After appetizers, I headed off to the Kooima Ranch and bunked down for the night which is always an adventure. Troy has a great wife (Jana) and three great kids (Alek, Reis, and Sage) who always inspire me to be a better family man myself.

On the ride up and back I listened to Coldplay's new CD "X & Y". I liked it very much. On the way home I stopped to pick up something new to listen to and considered Kanye West's "Late Registration", but instead chose Christian Hip Hopper John Reuben's new one, "The Boy vs. the Cynic", and I was pretty happy with it.

I was particularly struck by the line in track 10 which says, "All I have is what God gives, and that's all the life that I was meant to live." I found it a very comforting thought as I made the five hour drive home and wondered if this whole speaking thing will ever jump to the next level. I think I finally made my peace with the fact that if all I get to do is speak to small groups and share chili fries with the likes of the Sioux Fall's crew afterwards, I'll still be a very happy man.

Till next time,

Jason

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the other day, why can't Jason post to here more often. He is so funny, why doesn't he share the humor with everyone...sniff sniff.....i am sick of re-reading posts for laughter and excitement!