Monday, September 19, 2005

Driving Through the Lightning Storm

Hit Inwood, IA last night to work with the Sioux Falls crew again for a big youth rally thingy that they were putting on.

I picked up good SERVE buddy, and frequent blog comment poster, Dustin on the way. He attends college in Sioux Center, IA at Dordt, and was more than happy to ride along and help out with the talk I had to give. I had him dress up in his nerdy, hiked-up-all-the-way plaid shorts, sandals with black dress socks, and pink polo shirt to impersonate an older guy dancing. Don't ask why, it was just a very funny visual, and it got a lot of laughs. Then I talked about Jonathon, son of Shammah, brother of David from II Samuel, and talked about killing giants. The evening went pretty well. The band was made up of Troy, Dawn, and a bunch of high school folk, and actually rocked pretty hard considering they threw their set together that night.

On the way home though, I had to drive through the freakiest thunder storm I've ever seen. For about the last three hours of the journey, it was pouring rain, and lightning was striking all around in non-stop bursts. For anyone in western Iowa who saw it, it was completely crazy. There didn't seem to be a single moment were I couldn't see lightning striking somewhere. It was so bad, that each strike sent static interference through my radio and made it almost impossible to listen to.

Tons of people were pulling over to rest areas on the side of the road. I thought about doing the same thing. There were so many lightning strikes that seemed so close that I was actually a little scared of getting hit. But then I figured that if I kept moving, there was less of a chance of the lightning hitting me than if I just sat in one place, surrounded by a hundred other cars. I don't know how scientifically accurate that may be, but I didn't get struck, so I guess it worked.

It was fantastic to see Troy, Dawn, Luke, and Dustin again. We sat for a bit and laughed about how great Mark's wedding was a few weeks ago. We caught up on ministry stories, laughed till it hurt, and planned on seeing each other again in January when we head up to Michigan for a retreat.

Was this a really boring post? Seems like it. Let's see, what can liven it up? Hmmm. Dustin and I were amused greatly when I stopped at a gas station to get a fountain drink. On the side of the cup there was a cartoon picture of a dinosaur taking a shower. Think about that picture for a second. I really have no idea what it meant, or why it was on there, or who in this world thought, "You know what our fountain drink glasses need? Showering Dinosaurs!" But it was pretty hysterical. At least to Dustin and I.

I'm rambling. I'm tired. I think I'll just sign off now and try to get something more coherent down later in the week.

Till next time,

Jason

2 comments:

Dustin said...

I was thinking, are longnecks the only dinasours that really get any attention besides the big ol Trex? I never see anything but green long necks. I bet the triceratops are getting pretty upset because everyone is making it look like they are dirty animals that never showered unlike the wonderous green long necks. (The purple long necks are mad too by the way)

Jason Taylor said...

You know, the T-rex really does hog the spotlight when it comes to dinosaurs. And if you ask me, the triceratops can be far more interesting when you conisider the fact that they would be easier to ride. And let's not forget the well armored stegosauraus and it's knife ridged back when it comes to hard to clean dinosaur places.