Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Church / Kiwanis / Old Timey Gospel!

Sorry for the late update. I delivered the message a week ago last Sunday for the Bethel Reformed Church youth service in Des Moines, IA. I got hooked up with them through ministry partner Mark Elgersma who's aunt and uncle attend the church.

I had a great time, and they were really receptive, appreciative, and welcoming to me. I used some old photos of my dad's dog Happy from when he was a kid in the message, and talked about Peter and John in Acts 4.

I also did a 6 A.M. breakfast poetry reading for the Knoxville Kiwanis. Yes, that's right. 6 A.M.! It was EARLY. We just bought a new house and we've spent several days moving into it, and we've had a lot of early mornings and late nights, so I was dead tired when I rolled out of the house at 5:30. But the show went all right. I had a great time.

The biggest news, at least to me anyways, is that I was contacted by a fella about doing a series of storytelling/poetry shows as part of something called The Old Time Gospel Show. I guess it's a kind of tour thing where lots of different gospel singers and bands get together and put on a shows around Iowa, and I'll be providing the comedy portion of the evening.

I've been booked for three shows, the first one being this Saturday night, and it would be an understatement to say I'm a little excited. I'll be doing some poetry, storytelling, and a little banjo, so it's going to be about my favorite show of the year.

And in two short weeks I'll be in Sioux Falls, SD for the 2006 SERVE! And I'm super pumped cause Troy asked me back for the 2007 SERVE as well. Now I guess I'm really free to do some crazy stuff this year - like throwing rotten eggs at the crowd, or wearing my spiderman underoos to preach in. I can't wait!

Till next time,
Jason

1 comment:

Dustin said...

I am counting on those Spiderman underoos and some possible banjo serenading in the evening hours.