Tuesday, June 26, 2007

SERVE 2007

Had a great week at SERVE in Sioux Falls this past week. I've got a bit to do this week, so this entry will be short. Not to mention the fact that I'm not really in the mood to write my usual happy go lucky ramblings after coming home and hearing about the news of Lee Eshleman and Chris Benoit both dying of suicide.

Lee was one half of the duo Ted and Lee, and I got to meet them both a few years back at a Brethern Church conference. I was leading a seminar on youth work, and I got to watch a performance they gave from their play Fish Eyes. It was fantastic, hilarious, fun, and they were great guys when I introduced myself after. Lee will be sorely missed, and I cannot imagine Ted continuing on with performing for quite a while after this. Lee passed several weeks ago, I guess, but with the summer schedule, I only learned of it on Sunday.

Chris Benoit, on the other hand, was just an awesome professional wrestler that I've spent hours of my life watching, and had never gotten to see in person yet. He embodied everything left of pro wrestling that I actually enjoyed - technical wrestling and great in-ring storytelling - a far cry from most of what wrestling turns out today. What a sad and tragic end he met this past weekend due to whatever personal problems that he suffered from. I'm sure it will be a large black mark against the sport as he joins a long list of wrestlers to tragically die young.

What a wake of sorrow suicide leaves behind. It makes me want to grab the phone and contact the several friends I have now who are going through rough patches in their lives.

I'll update a more upbeat version of the blog next week. Andrea, Carson and I head up to Okiboji with the family for vacation and I'm very much looking forward to it!

No comments: