Thursday, August 02, 2007

Salt Lake City / Minneapolis / Pella

Lots to update this week. I've been away on a couple trips, so my computer time has suffered greatly.

Went to Salt Lake City two weekends ago to emcee, speak, and do improv at Youth Unlimited's Convention. There were about 900 high schoolers from all across the U.S. and Canada that came together at the University of Utah to worship and attend seminars.

I had a blast. Happy the Dog was there in full force as Dawn was the woman behind the scenes for all the main stages, and Troy was leading Jonah's Wale in some late night worship.

Emceeing was probably the highlight for me as we got really goofy. Troy and I, along with improv-er Steve Hydeen did a rousing rendition of "Ring of Fire" complete with Steve's amazing trumpet playing.

I also climbed a mountain. . .
This is Steve and I at the top of it. You can't really get a sense of height from that picture, but this one's a little better . . .

This is Steve looking out over Salt Lake City. Again, my camera phone really doesn't do it justice. It took us a big hour to get to the top, and another hour and a half to get down. Shouldn't getting down be faster? Yes, it should. But cosidering that we took a really scary way down, combined with the fact that we kept stopping to make silly camera phone videos, we got a little distracted.

Steve's in possesion of the videos now, and since he's more technically literate than I am, someday there might be a youtube link here to view them.

After SLC, I got to fly home for a couple days and spend some time with Andrea and Carson. Best friend from high school and college, Nathan Kinkaid, swung through for a short visit before he and his family move to Australia. That's right . . . Australia. Hmmm. We tried to go get a margarita at El Charro's here in Pella, but they were having some minor difficulties with their service that night, so we went out to a really fancy grill on the south side.

Then it was off to Power Connection in Minneapolis where I was emceeing again, and doing some improv with Steve Hydeen for about 1000 middle schoolers. If I didn't mention it already, Steve is a professional improv-er out of Omaha, Nebraska with 88improv. We occasionally have the chance to get together and do improv shows and seminars. We also occasionally have the chance to get together and do this . . .


. . . hug giant, rusty, iron turtle sculputres. This was at Bethel College where the event was held. It looked to me like a tetnus shot waiting to happen. But Steve just couldn't resist 'rasslin the big guy into submission.

Finally I came home and got some much needed R and R with Andrea and Carson. Things at home held up well without me, although I sorely missed my wife and little guy.

Last night, the Morgan Valley Social Club hit the Third Reformed Church here in Pella for a Pillar's party. The Pillars are the senior group at the church and we did about forty minutes of music and poetry for them.

I had a blast, as a poetry show was just what I need to wind down from a week and a half on the road. Kyle was in his best form as he alternated hymns with Johnny and Willie tunes, and the crowd really seemed to go with us.

Is that all? Not by a long shot, but I'm trying to keep this post short so you'll come back and read again some time. I'll try to update more later on all the hijinks and hilarity that insued as I did things like lose my luggage at the airport, have my banjo fail to pass security, wear another man's clothes for a day, and scare the pants off a pantsless Troy Kooima as he was getting ready one morning.

Till next time,

Jason

No comments: